Sun, sea, sand… after the past two years of lockdowns and travel restrictions this sounds like bliss, says Sarah Gubbins, but if you’re planning a holiday, don’t forget to factor in a hair care plan too. You may love the sun, but your hair most definitely won’t. For the month of July we are extending our offer of 20% off on our Sun Care Range.
We got such an amazing response to our in salon Lipid Booster Infusion that we would love for more of our clients to try it and here’s how! All you have to do is book your colour and or cut online and we will offer you a free Lipid Booster Infusion Treatment with your service. This offer is available for the month of July and extends to online booking only (not available on rescheduled appointments, offer on cut/colour appointments, online booking only).
First things first…
Lets talk about how to ensure your hair looks beach-babe tousled, sun-kissed and effortlessly cool and this takes planning says Sarah.
Start with a pre-holiday trim and professional conditioning treatment for healthy strong strands ready to fend off the onslaught of hot sunshine, salty sea water and chlorinated pools.
Avoid sun-stressed locks
“Hair becomes weaker, drier and far more prone to breakage and split ends when it is exposed to the sun. This is because the sun’s rays quickly alter the structure of the hair,” explains Sarah.
To avoid sun-stressed locks apply a high SPF product such as Helio Guard, non greasy formula by System Professional whenever you’re in the sun. Remember your scalp is an extension of your face, so be especially careful along your parting and where hair is thinning.
Add much needed moisture by treating hair to an intensive, nourishing mask in the evening. “I like Olaplex No.8 moisture mask as a quick way to restore vital moisture lost from exposure to UV rays, heat and pool chemicals and create soft, healthy, shiny locks” says Sarah. “Ask your stylist to recommend the best one for your hair type.”
Coloured hair on vacay
Coloured hair is especially vulnerable to sun, sea and chlorine.
The sun fades coloured hair. And hair that isn’t coloured may become lighter, but this is just another sign of sun damage and should be avoided explains Sarah.
Avoid the holiday hair blues. Get organised and book your pre and post-holiday appointments now 061337455. That’s one more thing crossed off your holiday list!
Minimise damage from chlorine and salt
Sea water and chlorine will dry out your hair and can irritate your scalp. They can also make your hair tangled and knotty.
Here are Sarah top tips:
- Wet your hair with fresh water before a dip in the pool or ocean. This will mean your hair soaks up less salt or chlorine.
- If possible, always wash and condition your hair after swimming. At the very least, take a bottle of water with you so you can rinse it through. And always remember to re-apply your sun protection to your hair and skin after your dip.
- Always use a specifically formulated shampoo and conditioner to remove chlorine and hydrate stressed hair. System Professional is a firm favourite of mine and I’ll be popping it into my suitcase this summer.
- Keep blondes looking beautiful and neutralise any green or ‘brassy’ tones caused by chlorinated pools with Solar shampoo that gently removes waterproof sunscreen, salt and chlorine residue from both the hair and skin.
Give your hair a holiday
While you’re away, try to avoid heated styling tools if you can and allow your hair to dry naturally recommends Sarah.
If you are using heated tools then always, always apply a thermal protector product, such as Ghd Bodyguard, which reduces the harsh drying effects of styling tools and hairdryers.
Continuing the pre-holiday planning theme… get shopping!
- Covering up is the quickest and easiest way to protect your hair and scalp from the sun’s damaging and drying rays. Don’t wait until you’re on holiday to buy flattering hats, tropical scarves and glitzy hair accessories ready for those poolside Insta pics.
- Stock up on the right hair products – we’ve travel sizes too if you’re jetting to sunny shores or are tight on packing space.
Book your appointments today
Call now to book your pre-holiday and post-holiday appointments or for advice on the right vacation products to keep your locks sun-kissed not sun-stressed 061337455.
P.S. Have an amazing holiday!